DOBCROFT INFANT SCHOOL

You said, we listened, we did...

As a school, we constantly strive to improve and the views of our parents and carers is especially important to us.  Where possible we will listen and attempt to make changes that will make everyone's experience of Dobcroft Infant School better.  As part of this we have introduced "you said, we listened, we did".

The following results are based on the parent questionnaire sent out to parents May 2019.

‘You said’, ‘we did’.  Parent questionnaire May 2019

Suggestion for – even better if

action

Date by

Who to action

Opportunities for advance learners

Opportunities for advanced learners already exist but staff need to ensure these are shared with parents- to be done at transition meetings.

July 2019

KS1 teachers

Clearer and more timely communications

We are currently reviewing our communication methods with parents/carers.  Once this is done ensure clearer outline to be shared with all parents. Feedback from parents is sometimes conflicting re needs and ways to address. Chose method majority indicate.

July 2019

Office staff

Could we have access to school reports/performance online

Our current data systems do not have this facility. We will explore other systems that do, but need to be mindful of costs involved with current financial situation. We will discuss with other local schools if they use anything we don’t re sharing performance.

September 2019

SLT

Physical activity – daily mile doesn’t seem to happen anymore.

Daily Mile is suspended over winter months due to surface being slippy. All classes have PE 2 hours a week but sometimes when four day week or special events on this is reduced .  Ensure this is shared with parents when this happens and review to check children being as physical as possible.

September 2019

PE co-ordinator/ HT

Discarded uniform in the playground collected and put in a wet lost property box.

 

Great idea but in practice staff already stretched re extra jobs.  Will discuss with support staff and explore ways to do.

September 2019

HT/DHT

Enforced uniform standards a little bit more

 

Will remind parents more regularly re uniform infringements, at least termly

July 2019

HT/DHT

Support for bilingual students

 

All pupils are supported in school including the current 25% pupils who have English as an additional language.  Training was given to teachers to further improve this aspect in this academic year. Shape coding was introduced to support writing this year for all pupils but it is able to support bilingual pupils in particular. This work will be shared during KS1 transition meetings.

July 2019

Class teachers

We could have more teachers for every class.

 

Not feasible with current funding.  However governors this year have managed to increase the number of teaching assistant support in Year 1 until march 2020 in response to staff and parental feedback.

ongoing

governors

Opportunities for parents to be involved in curriculum activities , like an afternoon to come in and appreciate  work with children or be part of a ‘hook activity when a new book/activity is introduced

 

We will soon be planning for 2019/20.  We will review ways we include parents in pour curriculum and seek to increase participation.  This will be shared with parents next term.  There were no parents who attended last term’s meet your governor event.

September 2019

HT/DHT

There does seem to be a lot of homework which we find hard to fit in at times as my child is too tired after school most days.

 

Our homework/home learning policy is due to be updated autumn 2019.  We will ensure parental feedback is incorporated into this process.

December 2019

HT/DHT

Were able to shift focus at parents evenings away from solely the level the child is at, in respect to national standards perhaps helping parents gain insights into the children interests at school/interpersonal skills/behaviours parents could reinforce at home.

 

We have to balance parent/carer need to discuss all elements of child’s school experience with workload of teachers which is why we aim for 10 minutes per child. We will ensure teachers start each parent meeting by asking what area in particular parents wish to discuss.

Nov 2019

Ht/DHT

Can keep parents informed on child’s activities and day schedule

Particularly in foundation it can be challenging to extract from your child what they ( as a class) have done today.  One solution for this the teachers posts a short statement ( 2 sentences) on what the class did on a platform like school spider which parents can use as a prompt for discussion with the child.  It does not need to be individualised and should not be seen as a mechanism for parents to monitor what the class is doing.  It also may not need to extend beyond foundation or Y1

The ask me boards were introduced for just this purpose a few years ago but recognise if parents don’t drop off they wont see them.  We will explore how this can be added to website/managed within workload of staff.

Sept 2019

Ht/DHT

Ensure consistency that guidelines for all are actually followed without prejudice

SLT regularly reviews policies  and implementation. If any lessons need to be learnt this is built into staff training

ongoing

HT/DHT

Buildings/ Improve the school infrastructure

 

LA due to replace mobiles and give new/repaired roof.  We will continue to improve buildings within ever reduced capital amounts school receives.

ongoing

HT/DHT

More recognition of sporting achievements as well as academic achievements

We will seek further ways to do this such as using twitter.  Specific suggestions please pass onto HT

Sept 2019

PE co-ordinator

Suggest to build an online notice board to update the parents more details of the school

 

We are currently reviewing our website to see ways to further improve information for parents.  Any specific requests please pass onto HT.  we have also bought notice board for outside main entrance so parents can see main events when going to office.

July 2019

HT/DHT

I would love to see more partnership with parents around school meals- could parents be invited into school to have a meal with their child.  Could tasters of school meals be given out at events?

 

Currently this takes place  at new starters meeting.  HT to explore if this can take place at other events over the year re trying menu and also invite parents at lunchtimes.  The hall is crowed during this time so need to consider ways to do this safely with no disruption to children.

July 2019

HT

Encourage parents to donate via FODs as government funding ltd

 

Already do this but Ht will remind via her letters.

ongoing

Ht