Sports and PE
The importance of Physical Education
In PE and sports we aim to develop the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. These include dance, games and gymnastics
A high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. It should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which support their health and fitness. Children should have opportunties to compete in sport and other activities to build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
A high-quality physical education curriculum is crucial to the development of PE within schools. Positive and engaging teaching and learning experiences in PE lessons will lead children to have a desire to lead a healthy active lifestyle, and participate in sport. PE lessons should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
In PE we aim to:
- Promote a love of sport and physical activity.
- Develop children’s competence to excel in abroad range of physical activities.
- Ensure that children are physically active for sustained periods of time.
- Provide opportunities for children to participate in competitive sports and activities both within lessons and through competitions.
- Promote a healthy active lifestyle through positive, engaging experiences.